Sign up for Marketing MInutes E-Newsletter

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

What are you waiting for?

Jump. Jump! JUMP!!!!!!!
I rented one of those big carnival bouncers from American Rental Centers for my son's birthday last week. As my friend and I watched the kids enjoying themselves, I was amazed at how much air the tiny 3-year-old got as she jumped and giggled. Even more amazing to me was how the kids would run full throttle at the corner posts of the bouncer so they would fall to the ground – completely fearless. The older kids ran a bit slower towards the posts. I relaxed nearby.
So when do we develop fear? What holds us back from jumping in with all of our energy? It's probably because we know the risks. We know we might look silly if we fail – or even if we don't. It's just safer to sit on the sidelines.
So how does this relate to marketing?
In the last year I've talked to more business owners than I have in the last five years. And what I'm hearing is that they're looking for answers, they're wanting to try some marketing. They think we've got some great ideas buuuuuuuuuut ... they're worried about pulling the trigger and getting started. Many of the media reps I work with are hearing the same thing.
On the other hand, we've picked up several new clients who are ready to jump in with both feet. They know that making a commitment to a marketing plan isn't as scary as it seems. For others, they're starting with an approach that feels more comfortable to them – with just a new or updated website.
Back to the bouncer
So remember when I talked about sitting safely on the sidelines? I did that for about an hour while I watched the kids. After much coaxing from my children, I finally got over my fear of looking silly or twisting an ankle (luckily I have some orthopedic clients if I do get hurt!) and I climbed in. Believe it or not, I had a great time.
So give me a call at 309.693.1421 or 309.369.3449 when you're ready to jump into a marketing plan or website. No need to fear, we'll walk you through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment